I never knew that I could make jams at home so easily with just 3 ingredients. Now that we are slowly incorporating the concept of sustainability in our life style, I have started to trying out making most of the things at home. I tried strawberry jam last Saturday, it came out really well and my husband and my daughter are already a fan of it.
The recipe is very simple and you need just three ingredients. Since it was the first time, I did only a small batch and I thought I would do it large scale, if it tastes good. To my surprise, the home-made jam tasted better than the store-bought ones and the biggest advantage is, it has no preservatives, no chemicals, no artificial flavors and I did not even use white , chemical coated sugar! This recipe is just perfect for kids.
- Fresh strawberries – 1 lb
- Organic brown natural cane sugar – 1 + 1/4 cups
- Lemon juice – from 1/2 lemon or 1 Tablespoon
- Clean strawberries really well and cut them into small pieces.
- Add lemon juice in the strawberries and mix well.
- In a large sauce pan, melt the organic brown cane sugar by heating it and once it is melted, filter it and save the sugar syrup.
- Now add the clear syrup in a deep pan and boil it. Once it has started boiling, add the strawberries and slowly start stirring. Keep in medium flame. Do not leave the pan and keep stirring often.
- Keep stirring until it comes to the right consistency. You can find this out by pouring a little jam on a plate and then run your finger through it. If it comes clear and doesn’t run back like a liquid, then you have got the perfect consistency.
- Pour in a clean, dry, glass jar and store in refrigerator.